Monday, October 26, 2009

Let's go fishing!

For many years I went to the Wickenburg Bluegrass Festival in November. Some years I would buy a ticket just to support their efforts even though I knew I wouldn't be able to make it. Then last year they decided to outlaw tent camping. ( That's down right un-American if you ask me! ) I suspect this was done to make room for all the high dollar Canadian snowbird RVs, although there are any number of other lame excuses floating around as well.

So I have been thinking we should do something over here in Camp Verde on that weekend. ( Maybe next year we'll do a folk festival?) Then it hit me. Let's go camping! I mean together. I'm thinking Nov. 13-15 at the Bull Pen campground near Camp Verde AZ. It's going to be a no host, bring your own everything, kind of deal but I'll bet you have some fun if you can find a way to make it.



I'll call a couple of my musician buddies ( the ones that are tent campers ) and see if we can at least round up a little entertainment for the event. Plus the fishing should be pretty good now as trout seem to be a lot happier in cold water. Hey, maybe we can cook up some trout foil wrap style? Also the hiking is pretty spectacular out of this camp ground. There are some easy and wonderful day hikes including Blodget Basin and West Clear Creek trails. It will likely be a lot chilly at night so dress warm. This will make a nice little warm up camping trip for our Arizona winter camping efforts! Tent campers are more than welcome. It's a tough place to get an RV or camper trailer but if you have one, you are welcome, although we will probably sneer at you a little. (Just kidding.)











The trail going from the Bull Pen up West Clear Creek






No need to RSVP or anything, as you need to bring your own food and such.



Shoot me and email or give me a call if you have any questions. I'll send you a Google Earth place mark if you need it.



Let's Go Camping!



Ken

3 comments:

  1. This has happened at some of the state parks in Oregon also.
    Some of the places I remember fondly as a child I cannot share the same way with my grandchildren. How sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! That's a creative way to address a sad problem. The last time I went to Wickenburg BG fest I never made it to the stage-- I just sat in the campground and traded tunes w/Pat Malone.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I can't make the camp-out. It sounds amazing. We attend the Bluegrass Festival in Kansas sometimes and it's great. It would be fun to keep all those huge buses somewhere else. they take up ten times a small tent and pay just as much. beans

    ReplyDelete

Uncle!

For the younger among us ‘uncle’, means ‘I give up’.  In January I decided to pull the plug on the manufacturing side of my business. Joe Bi...